Regular electrical inspections are crucial to the safety of your home and family. They keep your wiring system in good working condition and help you avoid costly repairs.
A professional electrician will be able to spot potential problems before they cause any serious damage. Read on to learn about some of the most common electrical issues that can be spotted during an inspection.
Damaged Wires Can Lead to Fires
One of the most common causes of fires in homes is faulty electrical wiring. It is important to check for wiring problems on a regular basis and have an electrician take care of any repairs that need to be made.
Damaged wires can start to arc, which can cause electricity to flow through the air, which can create a fire. An AFCI (arc fault circuit interrupter) can detect these problems and shut off the power before a fire can occur.
If you’re living in a home with a large amount of appliances, you should have an electrical inspection done by an electrician to ensure that you don’t have any faulty wiring. You should also make sure that all fuses and circuit breakers are up to date and working properly.
Another common source of electrical fires is the misuse of extension cords. Using multiple extension cords to connect appliances like TV, home theatre, computers and more can place too much strain on the system and overload the breaker box.
Besides tripping the breaker, it can also start an electric arcing fire. An arcing fire is the most dangerous type of electrical fire because it can start from a small spark and quickly spread to other parts of the house or building.
Old wiring, especially in older buildings, is one of the most common causes of electrical fires. This is because wires can develop a deteriorating coating that doesn’t support current electrical demands.
It is recommended to have a qualified electrician do an electrical safety audit on your home’s wiring system and electrical wall outlets every few years. This way, any issues can be resolved before they become major issues that require repair.
Faulty lighting fixtures and lamps are also a leading cause of electrical fires. For example, if you install a light bulb with a wattage that’s too high for the fixture, it can cause a fire. Or, if you put flammable materials over a lampshade or lightbulb, the material can heat up and ignite the bulb.
Other common causes of electrical fires include faulty outlets, worn or frayed cords and a lack of grounding. Taking preventative measures such as replacing appliances when they are outdated can help reduce the number of fires that start from electrical devices in your home.
Faulty Wiring Can Damage Your Electronics
If you own electronics like laptops, chargers, hairdryers, air conditioners, TVs or other smart home devices, it’s essential to protect them from faulty wiring. Electrical surges can cause a lot of damage to these appliances and cost you a fortune in repair bills if left unchecked.
Faulty electrical wires can also cause a short circuit that leads to a fire. If this happens, you could lose your electronics and potentially even your entire home.
The first step in identifying any faulty wiring is to check your switches and outlets for signs of problems. If you have a light switch that takes a while to respond to a flip or an outlet that doesn’t provide power at all, this is an indication of faulty wiring and should be inspected by an electrician immediately.
Another sign of faulty wiring is that fuses are blowing frequently or your circuit breakers keep tripping. This is a serious issue that needs to be repaired by an experienced electrician as soon as possible.
Other signs of faulty wiring include frayed wire ends and bite marks from household pests. These issues are not considered code violations, but they are a fire hazard and should be dealt with as soon as you find them.
You should also be on the lookout for old and corroded wires in your house. These are common in older homes and should be inspected by a licensed professional.
Aside from causing the loss of power to your electronics, faulty wiring can also cause serious damage to your appliance. This is especially true if it’s a large appliance such as an air conditioning unit, refrigerator or dryer that’s been used regularly.
These damages can include the damage of the appliances themselves, but they can also damage your walls or flooring and other materials around the home if you’re not careful.
In the case of a damaged MacBook charger, the exposed wires can cause problems for your device at best and at worst, it can generate a power surge that can brick your device (meaning it won’t work again).
This is why it’s important to have regular electrical inspections and repairs performed by an expert. If you’re in the process of renovating your home, have it inspected by an experienced contractor and be sure to keep these five signs of faulty wiring in mind.
Faulty Wiring Can Damage Your Appliances
Faulty wiring is an issue that most people don’t even think about, but it can have a devastating impact on your home. It can cause your appliances to malfunction, and even fires.
Fortunately, there are some signs that you can watch out for that indicate your electrical wiring is in trouble. If you see any of these, it’s important to call a licensed electrician immediately.
You should also check your outlets and switches for hot spots, warm areas or scorch marks. These are all signs that your wiring is old or needs to be replaced.
Another symptom of faulty wiring is that it can make your lights buzz or flicker when you turn them on. This is especially common in older homes, where the wiring might be aluminum or knob-and-tube, which is outdated and dangerous to use.
If you notice any of these problems, you should not use your appliances until the wiring is fixed. This will keep you and your family safe from dangerous shocks.
A tripped circuit breaker is another sign of faulty wiring. If you find that your circuit breaker has tripped more than once, it’s time to have a professional look at it.
The next symptom of faulty wiring is that your appliances are running slowly or not performing as well as they used to. For example, a fridge that starts sweating, forms frost or gets over cold might need to be unplugged and inspected by an electrician.
In some cases, an appliance that’s been in use for a while will stop working altogether. This is usually because it has been sending surges of electricity through the wires that surround it.
This can cause the insulation in your appliances to melt and catch fire. This can cause a fire that spreads to your other appliances, and even the outlets and switches in your house.
Damaged appliances can also cause surges of power to go through the wires in your wall. These can lead to a fire if the wires aren’t properly protected by a surge protector.
Faulty Wiring Can Damage Your Home
The wiring system in your home is one of the most important components in ensuring safety, so it is essential to keep an eye on it. Faulty wiring can lead to a range of serious problems, from electrocutions to fires.
It’s not uncommon for the wiring in your home to be dated and old, so it’s important to get it checked out by a professional electrician every so often. You’ll also want to look out for any signs of rodent damage that could be causing issues with your wires.
Wires can become damaged through wear and tear, age, heat or corrosion. Frayed or cracked wires are a major shock and fire hazard, so it is vital to have them replaced by a licensed electrician.
Another common sign that your wiring needs a repair is if you frequently trip circuit breakers. This is a sign that the wiring in your house has become overloaded, and you should contact an electrical contractor to get it sorted out.
Check the outlets and switches in your home for hot spots or scorch marks that are indicative of faulty wiring. These are not pleasant to touch, and you should have the problem fixed as soon as possible.
You can also smell for any burning or smoky odors at your home’s outlets or electrical panel, which indicates that the wires have overheated and the protective sheath has started to melt. This is the quickest way to detect an electrical fault, and you should take action immediately.
If you are buying a new home, it is important to have a professional carry out a pre-purchase electrical inspection. This will help you avoid having to fix problems later that could end up being costly.
Having a residential electrician visit your Raleigh home for regular electrical inspections can save you money in the long run. Not only will you avoid expensive repairs and replacements in the future, but you’ll have the peace of mind that your electrical system is in safe working order.